Monday, July 12, 2010

Four Things Minus One




I’m not used to 8:30 PM sunsets -- I think this statement will always find ways to haunt me again and again.

As I gaze my two weary eyes to the clouded sun and grey sky through the windows of this self-proclaimed WiFi room, I guess it’s only right to say that I hold these three things about my American experience to be true:

1. Yes, I admit that came to this place with an open mind and excited pair of eyes but at the end of the day, all the stuff which I get to see only in expensive Hollywood movies and learn in my American History class aren’t necessarily true. Both concrete and abstract images of massive skyscrapers, incessant discrimination against one another merely because of one’s skin color, unbelievably large servings of American food, and the undying love for freedom and the country would have been part of my luggage but fortunately or unfortunately, my expectations were not entirely met.

2. Waking up to the sound of my alarm clock every 5:30 in the morning and cooking a so-called American breakfast for myself didn’t only give me a sense of independence as a student in a foreign land -- as a matter of fact, this daily morning routine actually fixed my body clock which has been altered since God knows when. Surely, you’d think that the former is more important but as a hypochondriac person like me, I’d choose the latter anytime without a doubtful trace.

3. And finally, the last thing on my mind about finishing this program is falling in love, like most people would do, with the notion of staying here in the USA. For me, the light at the end of the tunnel of this program entails a great deal of plans of improvement for my own community and more love for my home country.

Sure enough, this list can go on and on. Perhaps I’ll realize two plus four more things tomorrow -- in St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment