Monday, July 5, 2010

Of Food, Fireworks, and Freedom

Yesterday, the 4th of July finally marked yet another day of celebration for the United States of America with awesome food, blinding fireworks, and a great deal of freedom. Two semesters ago, I turned the pages of my American history book in front of my professor in order to learn more about the George Washington, the famous battle cry "No taxation without representation!", and the bold entirety of the revolutionary war against the British crown. It was only until last night that I did get to realize that I was lucky enough to finally experience a real celebration of independence in American soil.

As I munched on the savory chicken breasts and juicy burgers (humbly prepared by Dr. Brown and her family) with the rest of the SUSI team by the Mississippi River yesterday, a thought suddenly hit me: The American Revolution isn't just a simple piece taken from a dusty American history book - it is truly a pivotal event that reminds all of the people in the world that freedom is one element which allows us to reach our full human potential.

Putting aside all the emotional sentiments from yesterday's event, I did get to enjoy a lot of things in spite of my distance from my home country. From the long Chester joyride to the the magnificent fireworks display and everything in between, I can truly say that this year's 4th of July is something I'm going to remember for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment